Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Designer Jeans?

I am a Broadcast Designer...I create Television for a living. It is a pretty cool job but it has an interesting set of hours. Usually I awake at 4:30am, Hit Snooze 3 - 4 times and finally awake to the hottest shower my skin can bare. I often decide what I am going to wear while I am in the shower. If I am running late...you can bet I am wearing Jeans. If I have a presentation or am out of clean clothes I'll put on some Kakhi pants and a button down. Ok, so whats up with this blog. Is it all about the clothes? Well, I guess in a way it is. Some say that image is everything. Some say your are what you eat...but I have noticed that when you are neat you meet and great much better. (what a horrible line) Anyhow. The conceptual theories behind those who dress down vs those who are suited and booted are quite interesting. For example a woman in a Pant suit gathers more power/respect in Big Biznez than a Power Broker in a sun dress. Or how about the Mail room guy's shirt and tie spell broke and looking for a new job, as opposed to the corporate VP who prefers to go without the tie, starched and sportcoated, yet gets his hair cut 2 times a week. My question: Do the clothes that you wear really make the man?

I once dated a woman who was proud to deliver the following statement: "I have dressed many of men in Kenneth Cole and I am sure that I can find something for you." Now, I do like K Coles shoe collection. However his clothes are overpriced sloppy pattern rip offs. Yet most of your middle class suburbanites are sporting the button downs as if K Cole was actually a clothing company. Whoa nelly...pump your breaks. Here are the names of some reputable clothing lines: Eddie Bauer, Levis Straus, Ralph Lauren/Polo, and finally my all time favorite Van Heusen. Sure you have designer clothing that could be potentially better than the items mentioned above but for the bang for your buck dollar..I'm purchasing Van Heusen shirts 3 for $35 and a pair of Levis "Docker's" for $30 and I have a winter wardrobe. On the other hand, you could go into Bannan Republic and buy the tightest pants that your dime can afford, only 2 washes later you regret wearing those pants because all the gay men at work are starting to congregate around your cube.

Work attire should be exactly that, attire that you wear to work. Why aren't corporate companies allowing their work force to wear Sweats? Not the sweatshirt type but the Nylon type. A simple polo and a pair of nylon sweats allow everyone comfort and will also provide the company with a dressed down wardrobe. I often have to thank my lucky stars that my department is really relaxed. Designers can get away with just about anything...why, well we are artsy phartsy. So we get over when we can and we take over when needed. But the bottom line is this...Give me a good ol polo a pair of sandals and light blue jeans and I'll be the most productive employee in the building.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home