Sunday, October 24, 2004

A conversation with Carl pt 1

As I mentioned in my first blog, I have to give shout outs to my Brother Carl. He is a serious brain child of my two parents.
He has a sponge for a memory and obviously has an ear for music. Occasionally I will read his blogs to keep up with his educational pursuits. The message below is a response to his most recent posting: (checkout coliverblog)...

Mos Def and Talib Kweli CD reviews..
I would give MosDef's latest release a 3 (or what I would call Itunes Download) and I would give Talib's LP a 3 as well.
{1= Bootleg the singles, 2 = Dub it from your boy, 3 = Download it from Itunes, 4 = Buy it on Tuesday, 5 = Buy two copies on for your collection and another for your safe.}

Talib Kweli's beats are average, typical and status quo. Highlights are the tracks with MJB and Common (feat. Anthony Hamilton.) as usual this CD is a lyrical feast. But again, Talib still raps too fast and needs a producer who can match his lyrical skill set. Mos Def's LP is beyond average but too eclectic for the commercial disk dubbers chillin in High School. How can Mos compeat with Mannie Fresh? (Go Dj that's my DJ...yuck)...It will take a nation of millions to get the black back in rap. But I think there is a bigger picture that we must identify....Contracts, Colaboration and the Nov 2 Election.

There are a few items that we must consider when reviewing rap tracks. 1. Where does this artist stand in his/her contract. 2. What is the industry currently asking for (ie Song and Dance or Bently Bling).

In this case Talib Kweli has reached his Commercial Peak, where mos reached his peak during his duets with Bush Babies (his singing debut), Tribe Called Quest, and of course with Kweli (Black Star.) It would be my hope that Mos has decided to kick Geffen records to the curb after his contract is over. Geffen has plugged many Mc's and halted a few. The Roots can preach to you on that topic for sho. Yet Mos is a bit different. He uses 2 familiar tracks one from Nas and the other from Jay-Z. This is typical of the Funk Master Flex remix days...and I wouldn't doubt if he had these two jams on DAT waiting for the next album. Then lets look at the Black Johnson tracks..an industry trick that has been used for decades...The phone call goes something like this.

"What up"
"Mos, whaz up black..."
"Yo, you got any tracks that I can use on my next Album?"
"Man, you know we are dropping in the Spring.."
"I don't care give me some of your rejects...I got to get out of this contract."
"Mos, you know I got your back, but I just can't give you my hot shit now."
"Cool, this is what well do, I take your leftovers and Geffen will pay you for production..."
"Bet, that's what I'm talkin' bout."
"But you got to do me one favor..."
"What"
"You have got to give me a 2:00 glide that I can roll wit."
"What's the theme?"
"Fuck you! Pay ME."
"That's whats up, I can dig it..."
"I figured it would be no problem."

The way I figure it, Mos is way too clever to release this LP as one of his best works. He'll wait for his independant release. Why give Geffen records platinum when he can drop classics on his own dime. Mos is indeed a profound rapper. His rhymes are top notch. Yet here is the key. Mos is just rambling about street lyrics. Kweli is just rambling about street lyrics. Both seem to be stacking chips..all the while, Hi-tek is in the lab brewing up some serious Black Star Stew. Lets all hope that these two men help bring us to the level of consciousness that we need. Especially after Bush's boys manage to steal this election again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home