Wednesday, February 02, 2005

My Brother Craig...

I have 4 siblings..Craig, Carl, Allison and Russell. They were birthed in that order. Russell is a track star for Round Rock HS. He is pretty good and has a chance at the olympics. My Sister, is a student at Hampton U. and is doing rather well with her grades. She has a boyfriend who lives in Louisiana and he has helped our relationship tremendously. She often calls me just to say what up, and often to get advice. Russell rarely calls, but I guess in time we will formulate a relationship. Our distance and 20 year age gap keeps us apart. But when we see each other, it is as if we have been around each other for a lifetime...why not we have. Carl, he's my ace. A genuine brother who is currently living in Boston. He is a student teacher at a local Public School and will be graduating from Harvard this June. He tells it like it is and I love him for his independence. Me, well, I live in the ATL and I rarely get a chance to go home. I have two homes. 1 in Detroit, 1 in Atlanta. I have a vacation home in Austin. That is how I see it. A child of Divorce forces me to choose which house I will visit during holidays. It can be tough at times, but I often make the best of each situation. Come on you may say, what about your Brother Craig.

Ah, The doctor! THE C.E.O. as some of his friends may call him. He is similar to Carl, but a tad bit quieter. Reserved in his opinions and a international business student at THE Eastern Michigan University. He is also an active member of the National Guard. He studies Japanese and loves foreign cars. Why did I title this Blog My Brother Craig? Because of the one thing that he does that I will always remember him for....his prayer at the table. I give up a quick prayer prior to dining, sometimes it is the "Bless this food o' Lord" prayer, or sometimes it is the "God is good" prayer...(hey it is quick and fast...got to give up the praises and thanks.) and on a rare occasion I will meditate on how blessed my family is and how fortuneate I am for having the ability to eat....often that prayer comes up when I am broke. But Craig...he will pray for at least 1min - 2min easy. Head bowed, eyes closed and food growing colder by the minute. I have never asked him what he says. It is his private universal right. But I do give him credit for doing so. How odd...for me to acknowledge one brothers unique ability to be silent in time...oh yeah, don't get it twisted. Craig is a baller, a partier and lives with his Girlfriend...and I am sure that they are far from Lucy and Ricky...if you get my drift. I don't think he attends church on a regular basis. But his connection to the Most High is so peaceful.

1 Comments:

Blogger Carl said...

Thank you for the kind comments,

I think we all, or at least your and Craig are very spiritual for the same reason, look at Mom. She is a very spiritual woman who has always had a deep connection to catholicism through school and her youth. When she got excommunicated she had to find a way to support her spirituality with out beyond the confines of a structured religion. Growing up with her forced you to develop a sense of spirituality for your self that is independent of other religions, and yet connected to other religions.
Also we had to be dragged through a series of different churches that mom was attending while she was looking for a spiritual home. Because of this I feel like I have a critical eye of religious beliefs because of this exposure.
I also find myself strangely attracted to all these girls at the Divinity school here at Harvard who all seem to be comfortable with their own relgion stuff. Maybe that's just me.

February 24, 2005 at 6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home