Thursday, April 14, 2005

"damn it feels good to see people up on it!"

The Biz couldn't have said it better. It does feel good to be recognized as a thinker, a contributor and in some cases an important person. People up on it? some may inquire, how does a person get "all up on" another. Simple. Take for instance the scenario that took place this afternoon. I was leaving a meeting on the 6th floor, which is the largest meeting room in the company, and as I exited the room, I recognized "employee Rose". Of course, I am not the type to have an uncomfortable greeting, so I stick to an informal "What's up Man, or how ya doin." depending on their cool factor of course. "Employe Rose" responds..."Hi Ray!". He almost got me with an uppercut. You know I had to play it off. I just smiled and commented on his attire, to change the subject. I knew his name also, but I was surprised that he used my name in our greeting. Ok, so perhaps this is a miniscule matter in the office world...but to me it is a big deal. Employee Rose works for the man, sitting next to the man. That is it. There really aren't to many strings. So to be recognized by the man...well that is a feat in itself. So pardon me for tootin' my own cowbell. Cause this brotha from D loves to see people up on it.

Back in the days of New Jersey the fellas used to call me Money. Not because of my jumpshot, not because of my attire, but because I acted as if I had Cash. My swagger, my ability to chit chat with the opposite race, using jargan and slang equally, depending on the group and situation. It was perfect. But slowly as time moved on...I saw myself gravitating to the Hip-Hop genere. I became a regular user of the infamous "know what I'm sayin' phrase. While in college, I grew into a self-absorbed ego with a campus reputation as "the Man!" Hell yeah, I know, this is a bit boastful...but hang on. Shortly after my graduation...I was on cloud nine. A new job, a new life, and hey I didn't have to stress life...I had two suits, a blazer and a fresh set of clothes. I beat out a frat brother, and a few others for a Sales job in Battle Creek, Michigan. But my swagger didn't float there. I became depressed. My life was taking a downward spiral. I lost my confidence, ran back to MSU to hide and didn't poke my head out until late 1995. I dipped my toe in the water everywhere I went. I explored little territories...and became a cave dweller. I had to break out. 4 years later I found myself at my current job. Successful and hoping I passed the drug test. Since then...I have worked at regaining that swagger. Of course I have it as a crutch...but not deep down inside. Why? Because, I don't see people up on it. Until recently. Strange that a brotha has to cut off his locks of personality in order to achieve. Or perhaps I just identified with a blessing and followed the right path. I wonder how Jesus felt when, he went from People up on it, to people all on him. Similar circumstances...I guess we all must go through a bit of a crusificition in order to really understand our worth. Life is what you make it. Not really about what others think. I realize this now...but damn, it still feels good to see people up on it. Praise God and his many blessings.

En peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home