Sunday, March 09, 2008

Greek or not Greek that is the question

So recently I attended a huge For us By us event, a going away event hosted by a Director of my company for a mentor to us all. After a few kind words, appetizers and banter I noticed the red wine bottles piling up in the trash. (of course I was angry) "Come on!" I said to the host. Where is your recycling bin? She replied, "Its too much trouble..." and quickly darted into the other room. I turned to another sista in the room and asked "Do you recycle", she stared me in the eye and said..."I'm the kind of person who likes to destroy the world!" I stood amazed, baffled even. "So, you..." ahh.. this is when I need to take the cue to leave the green living mantra on the doorstep, she cut me off so quick..."Don't start with me, you and I both know Im not going to change..." I replied..."Ok, Im going to create you a t-shirt that says f-the world"



But again I digress, the whole purpose of my longwinded intro was to talk about Greek life. As the night moved on we started talking about old school music, (mind you I am the youngest in the room at 38), one thing led to another and boom...aka's were skee weeting, deltas were ooo oopin and us males were playa hatin each others organization. (Although, we all know that the Nupes were represented well in the house...even if I was the only one! Phi Nu my brotha, phi nu pi my brothas...yo baby yo!!) Anyhow...I started to wonder. Does the black greek system have something unique that makes us all leaders? Is there something about early management education that creates a young man or woman to become great. Or is it the pledge process that makes the individual? Very interesting. So, I log on to my linkedin page and realize...I know a ton of folks who belong to historically Black Fraternities/Sororities. Almost all of which are doing pretty good. But I need to dive deeper into the subject. Are these people workers or managers. I'm going to do a bit more research. But my hypothesis would suggest that anyone who belongs to an organization in college will learn the skill of management. But, to learn how to manage a diverse group of your peers and to provide a solid direction without drifting off course....by any means necessary...well...perhaps being greek has something to do with it. Early experience of handling budgets and scheduling work around classroom schedules. Handling damage control and keeping the perception positive and upwardly mobile...all sound like things that I am doing now...so perhaps I am on to something...or perhaps its just a coincidence that 65% of the room was full of greeks and the remaining 35% dropped or were unavailable for comment. Smile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home