Sunday, November 14, 2004

O.D.B. RIP

It was a late September afternoon in 1993. I was working for an awful Newspaper in the middle Battle Creek, Michigan. I would escape this city every Friday and roll up to my Alma Mater: Michigan State University. I had an "L" rolled in my ash tray and I would roll the windows down in my 4 door Geo Metro and smoke my troubles away while driving up to the City of Dreams...East Lansing. I was blessed with an advanced copy of Enter the Wu-Tang: 36 chambers, from a fellow College Radio Alum, Jason Staten. The 1 hour and 35 min trip was filled with smoke and beats from this new group. By the time I reached EL, I had to hip some of my boys to the CD. I had mad trees on me back then so I just stopped at the Frat House and lit up blunt after blunt once I made it safely onto campus. Usually, my Metro outside of the Frat House was a signal to all of my smoke mates that I was in town and was holding. In fact it was amazing how many ladies and homies would just drop into the house on those Friday afternoons. I'll give 35% of the credit to my "holding" status and the remaining credit to the frat. (I'm a cocky SOB.) Anyhow, the WU. Man the WU redefined the music for the East! We all were aspiring MC's but the WU made our top 10 list from the first drop of Bring D Rukus. If the Freestyle smoke session needed a beat...shiiiitt, pop in that wu-tang. Clan in Da front was my personal Freestyle favorite...But wait. I digress...This aint about me per se. This is about the Old Dirty Bastard.

The strange career of the ODB had to be one of the best examples of what Hip Hop can do to an individual. yet today...I found out that ODB was dead and asked myself the following question. Can it all be so simple? Here was a brotha who was just released from jail, signed with the ROC, and had more than 6 kids...each with their own momma. This man had stopped the drugs because of his Parole and was trying to complete an LP and bam! His master called his number. Now ODB stands at the Gate of Heaven. Does God give him the Shame on a Nigga speech? Is he a victim of his own Gluttony, Lust, Greed and Sloth? I hope not. In fact I pray that this brotha is forgiven of his sins. This no doubt is a tragic sign to our youth. Sure, we had the death of Rick James recently who in fact had similar issues as ODB, but his death was significant to the 45-55 year old crowd.

ODB's death is a sign to my generation. The Gen X-men and women.

Back in College we had multiple sex partners, dropped shrooms, acid, and in fact we passed women like we passed joints. True and sad at the same time. I have many friends who led lives similar to ODB and some who knew when to quit. I stopped smoking about 2.5 months ago. Why would I stop the weed? Well it was very simple. I came to from sinus surgery and couldn't speak or focus. Constant smoke for over 20 years had caused my body to produce large amounts of mucus in my sinus passages and began to drain into the back of my throat, that was enough for me. No more. Drinking was out also. I was cured of my sickness with every new breath of fresh air, and with ODB's death I am reminded of what could have been.

What would have happened if we signed a deal after the Band in the Hand's live performance. What would have happened if The Playlist had hit it big and become more powerful than the Source or Vibe magazine. What would have happened if I had stopped smoking 10 years ago? Would life be all sunshine, partly cloudy or mixed Tstorms? Who knows...but I see the death of ODB as a sign. A sign to Hip Hop and a sign to all those who are lost. Vivid characters in Hip Hop die young. Fathers of families live long. Be strong my smokers. Just say no. But first put one up in the air for The old dirty bastard.

En peace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home